Vivekananda Yoga University (VaYU), USA is the 1st yoga university outside India focused on graduate yoga education and research. VaYU is located in Norwalk (near Los Angeles), California.
VaYU is founded on the principles of the great 19th-century philosopher monk Swami Vivekananda who inspired two nations - India and USA. He also brought yoga to the USA in 1893, and, his prescription for universal welfare. VaYU, USA offers online graduate programs centered on evidence-based yoga and a modern scientific approach to the traditional ancient Indian practice of yoga.
Education today is not just about brick and mortar classrooms. With the advances in technology, one can study and learn anywhere, anytime, and at any age. The time is ripe for online learning like never before.
Responding to this trend, VaYU has created an online graduate curriculum that is geographically-neutral, and with time-flexible delivery. Your time, your place, your convenience!
This flexibility allows busy professionals who are committed seekers (sadhakas) or yoga enthusiasts interested in expanding their knowledge without pausing or disrupting their lives but still getting their degree.
Learning Objectives at VaYU
- To instruct and educate students the traditional knowledge of Yoga and its applications
- To instruct and educate students the traditional knowledge of Yoga and its applications deciphered from ancient texts using modern pedagogical tools.
- To train students in physical yogic practices, which allow the body and the mind function healthfully at their fullest potential.
- To expose students in a systematic manner to recent Yoga material with emphasis on scientific research in order to develop the students’ interest in pursuing evidence-based Yoga.
- To train researchers in Yoga by ‘shining the light of science on Yoga.’
- To prepare a new generation of citizens, who with the practice of yoga can work harmoniously in society and contribute to the welfare of our communities.
Learning Outcomes at VaYU
Students graduating from VaYU would be:
- Educated in the traditional knowledge of Yoga and its applications
- Trained in physical YOGIC practices, which allow the body and the MIND function
- Exposed in a systematic manner to recent Yoga material with emphasis on scientific research that develops the students’ interest in pursuing evidence-based Yoga.
- Researchers in Yoga are trained by ‘shining the light of science on Yoga’
- Graduating students with the practice of yoga can work harmoniously in society and contribute to the welfare of our communities
To build a healthy, harmonious world through wholistic Yoga.
Creating a Yogic life path for the welfare of humanity.
VaYU was featured as an INR 2.5 million question in the Indian TV show Kaun Banega Crorepati, Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
S-VYASA, India, is a registered charitable institution (estd. 1986) working towards making yoga a socially relevant science. Based on the teachings of Swami Vivekananda, the four streams of yoga with unity in their diversity, the key essence of Indian culture, and applications of yoga to bring health, harmony & peace - are now spread across the globe in nearly 30 countries.
Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, abbreviated S-VYASA or SVYASA, is a Category 'A' deemed-to-be university located in Bangalore, India.
 The four streams of yoga are - karma yoga (action), raja yoga (meditation), jnana yoga (wisdom) and bhakti yoga (devotion).