Apar Avinash Saoji, BNYS, PhD
Associate Professor, VaYU
- PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) in Yoga. S-VYASA Deemed to be University, Bangalore. 2018
- BNYS (Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences). Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore. 2009
PhD Thesis Title: Neurocognitive and Psychophysiological Changes Associated with Kumbhaka: Yogic Breath Holding
- As Deputy Director (Academics) – The School of Yoga and Naturopathic Medicine, S-VYASA Yoga University, Bengaluru from July 2018 till date.
- As Asst. Director (Academics) – The School of Yoga and Naturopathic Medicine, S-VYASA Yoga University, Bengaluru from November 2017 till June 2018.
- As Head, MD Program, S-VYASA Yoga University, Bengaluru from January 2017 till date.
- As Asst. Professor and Medical Officer at S-VYASA Yoga University, Bengaluru since August 2013 till date.
- External Moderator for the School of Natural Medicine, Faculty of Community Medicine, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa from March 2017 till date.
- As Lecturer and Medical Officer at SDM College of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences, Ujire, Karnataka, from August 2011 till July2013.
- As Technical Consultant at the National Institute of Naturopathy (An Autonomous organization under Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India), Pune since August 2010 till August 2011.
- Yoga & Naturopathy Consultant at PRAYAS, Amravati from November 2009 till July 2010.
Faculty Exchange Programs:
- Deputed for Faculty Exchange Program at KWA Klinik Stift Rottal, Max-Köhler-Straße 3, 94086 Bad Griesbach, Germany, June-September 2016.
Ongoing Research Projects:
- Effect of Yoga based Natural lifestyle on Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Comparative analysis of efficacy of Yoga, Ayurveda and Naturopathy in management of Osteoarthritis of Knees.
- Effect of Yoga & Naturopathic Treatment modalities in Metabolic Syndrome.
- Effect of Yogic practices in occupational health and well-being.
Publications (Peer Reviewed Journals)
- Saoji, A.A., Raghavendra B. R., Madle K. & Manjunath. N.K. (2018). Additional practice of Yoga Breathing with Intermittent Breath Holding enhance psychological wellbeing in yoga practitioners: a randomized controlled trial. Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing, DOI: 10.1016/j.explore.2018.02.005
- Saoji, A.A., Raghavendra B. R., & Manjunath. N.K. (2018). Immediate Effects of Yoga Breathing with Intermittent Breath Retention on the Autonomic and Cardiovascular Variables Amongst Healthy Volunteers. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 62 (1): 41-50.
- Saoji, A. A., Raghavendra, B., & Manjunath, N. K. (2018). Effects of Yogic Breath Regulation: A Narrative Review of Scientific Evidence. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaim.2017.07.008.
- Saoji, A.A., Raghavendra B. R., Rajesh. S. K., & Manjunath. N.K. (2018). Immediate Effects of Yoga Breathing with Intermittent Breath Holding on Response Inhibition Amongst Healthy Volunteers.International Journal of Yoga, 11(2), 99-104.
- Nalgirkar, S., Vinchurkar, S., Saoji, A. A., & Mohanty, S. (2018). Effect of Integrated Approach of Yoga Therapy on Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding: A Pilot Study. Journal of Midlife Health, 9(1):8-13.
- Gowda, S., Mohanty, S., Saoji, A., & Nagarathna, R. (2017). Integrated Yoga and Naturopathy module in management of Metabolic Syndrome: A case report. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, 8(1): 45–48.
- Saoji, A., Mohanty, S., & Vinchurkar, S. A. (2017). Effect of a single session of a yogic meditation technique on cognitive performance in medical students: A randomized crossover trial. Journal of Religion and Health, 56(1), 141-148.
- Mohanty, S., & Saoji, A. A. (2016). Comments on “Alternate Nostril Breathing at Different Rates and its Influence on Heart Rate Variability in Non Practitioners of Yoga”. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 10(7), CL01.
- Saoji, A. A. (2016). Yoga: A strategy to cope up stress and enhance wellbeing among medical students. North American Journal of Medical Sciences, 8(4), 200-2.
- Raghavendra, P., Shetty, P., Shetty, S., Manjunath, N. K., & Saoji, A. A. (2016). Effect of high-frequency yoga breathing on pulmonary functions in patients with asthma. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 117(5), 550-551.
Publications (Peer Reviewed Journals): Under Review:
- Wen, X., Saoji, A.A., Metri, K., Mohanty, S., & Venugopal, V. Immediate Effect of a Meditation Technique on Blood Glucose, State Anxiety and Relaxation in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: A Pilot Randomized Crossover Study. Advances in Integrative Medicine.
- Tiwari, S., Shetty, P., Sapkota, N., Shashikiran, H.C., & Saoji, A.A. Naturopathy and Yoga for Improving Quality of Life in Pemphigus Vulgaris and Managing Co-morbid Type 2 Diabetes: A Case Report. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine.
- Shahane, P., Madle, K., Ragavendrasamy, B., & Saoji, A.A. Effect of Yoga in prevention and management of complications of prolonged standing in industry set-up: A Single Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Frontiers in Public Health.
Publications In Magazines:
- Saoji, A. (2018). Yoga and Naturopathy in care of HIV. Nisargopachar Varta.
- Saoji, A. (2014). Prospects for the execution at grass route level & at large scale. Yoga Sudha.
- Saoji, A. (2009). Naturopathy and Yoga, a ray of hope for Cancer. Nisargopachar Varta.
Health Awareness Programs
- Delivered Naturopathy awareness program on Doordarshan and All India Radio.
- Delivered public lectures at Naturopathy and Yoga Institutions, Schools, Colleges, Public Sector Undertakings, NGOs, special sectors of society like women, senior citizens, and children, professionals.
Conferences & Workshops Attended:
As Invited Speaker:
- “Yoga and its applications” at National Centre for Disease Informatics and Research (ICMR), on 21 June, 2018.
- “Yoga Research: Past, Present and Future” at National Centre for Disease Informatics and Research (ICMR), on 21 June, 2017.
- “Naturopathy for Cancer” at Pre-Conference Workshop of 21st INCOFYRA, held at S-VYASA Yoga University, Bangalore, 28 December 2015.
- Workshop on Cyclic Meditation, held at Amrita School of Ayurveda, Amrita University, Kollam, Kerala – 21 June 2015.
- “Yoga and Naturopathy in Integrative Medicine” at the National Seminar and Workshop on How to Live longer and healthier, organized by Dr. D. Y. Patil University, Navi Mumbai – 18 January 2014.
Oral and Poster Presentations:
- “Yoga & Naturopathy based intensive intervention reduces pain & improves the sleep-in patients with Knee Osteoarthritis” at International Congress on Naturopathic Medicine, Barcelona – 1 to 3 July 2016.
- Won 2nd Prize for the Poster “Effect of 10 days Yoga and Naturopathy lifestyle intervention on glycemic status in type 2 Diabetes Mellitus patients” presented at the 20th International Conference on Frontiers of Yoga Research and Applications (INCOFYRA), organized by SVYASA Yoga University, Bangalore – 2 to 5 January 2014.
- Presented poster on “Rationale of Unity of Disease” in naturopathy at the International Conference on Yoga and Naturopathy, held at Bangalore- 9th to 12th February 2012.
- Presented a paper on “the trends of Naturopathy practice in southern state of Karnataka” at a workshop organized by the National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune at Mumbai - 7th January 2013.
- 22nd INCOFYRA 2018- Bangalore, Karnataka.
- 21st INCOFYRA 2016- Bangalore, Karnataka.
- SDM International Conference on Yoga and Naturopathy, 2014 – Ujire, Karnataka.
- 20th International Conference on Frontiers in Yoga Research and Its Applications-INCOFYRA 2014 – Bangalore, Karnataka.
- International Conference on Yoga and Naturopathy 2012 – Bangalore, Karnataka.
- 10th State Level Yoga Conference 2010 – Amravati, Maharashtra.